A long time friend suddenly pops up on IM with pearls of wisdom that begged to be noted down. Speaking about “knowing when it is time for a change” it as opined that the following are good indicators:
- A feeling of “Oh boy it is office day again” when Monday morning arrives
- Restleness or boredom
- A recurring feeling of repitition in the work
- Finding non-work areas of life immensely interesting
- Inability to visualise a future which would be on the career growth path
- Envy of what others are doing for work
This was in the context of a large subset of mutual acquaintances changing jobs this season and the thing we came up with was the “One hand Test” ie a hand has 5 digits – the as the number of questions that if asked might tend to avoid the feeling of “darn why do I stick around in this job”. Here they are:
- What are the kind(s) of work that appeal to you ?
- Which acitivities/tasks result in more satisfaction for you ?
- What kind of people do you like to work with ?
- What is your kind of work environment ?
- Which areas/abilities do you think you can develop upon ?
Interesting exercise 🙂